Asparagus and Snow Peas
From Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, Terrific Pacific Cookbook
- 1 tbs. peanut oil
- 1.5 tsp. Japanese sesame oil
- 1.25 lbs. slender asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 c. snow peas, trimmed
- 1.5 tbs. sesame seeds
- 3 tbs. mirin
- 1.5 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. soy sauce
- 3 tbs. chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste
- Heat peanut and sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus
and stir-fry, until stalks turn bright green, about 2 minutes.
Add snow peas and sesame seeds and stir-fry until bright green
and "crisp-tender," 2-3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to
bowl, and keep warm.
- Raise heat to high. Add mirin and reduce by half, about 1 minute.
Add lemon juice, soy sauce, stock, and sugar and cook until the
sauce is slightly thickened and reduced, about 5 minutes. Return
vegetables and toss to coat with sauce. Season to taste.
- I went to five stores searching for mirin -- never found it.
I substituted a nice fino sherry.
- I don't use sesame seeds, but they should be good here.
Keywords: Pacific, Vegetables, Asparagus.