Carol Selvarajah Vegetable Salad
From Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, Terrific Pacific Cookbook
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tomatoes, seeded, cut into thin wedges
- 1 small red onion, quarteed, sliced thin
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, sliced thin
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled, halved, sliced thin
- 2.5 tbs. Japanese pickled ginger, drained, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 c. seasoned rice vinegar
- Arrange vegetables and kiwi in layers on platter, sprinkling each
layer with pickled ginger, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Let stand
for 1 hour before serving.
- I just put it all into a bowl, and tossed it.
- Seasoned rice vinegar is plain rice vinegar doped up with sugar and
salt (mostly sugar). I don't like it -- it makes sushi come out much
too sweet -- so don't stock it. Adding about 1/2 tsp. sugar to plain
rice vinegar should be just about right here.
Keywords: Pacific, Salads.