Zucchini and Red Pepper Pilaf
From Anya von Bremzen and John Welchman, Terrific Pacific Cookbook
- 1.5 c. basmati rice
- 3 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 2 small zucchini (about 5 oz. total), cut into medium dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 2 tbs. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2.75 c. chicken stock
- salt to taste
- Rinse and drain rice. Soak rice in cold water for 30 minutes.
Drain and rinse well.
- Heat heavy pot over medium heat. Melt butter. Add onion and
cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and
bell pepper, cook for another 5 minutes. Add curry powder,
turmeric, and cayenne pepper and stir until mixture is
fragrant, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, heat chicken stock.
- Add rice and toss gently until grains are coated with oil.
Add hot chicken stock (and salt), bring to boil, cover,
reduce heat, and cook until rice is tender and liquid
absorbed, about 17 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, without disturbing, for
15 minutes. Fluff with fork, and serve.
- My grocery store believes in monster vegetables, so one zucchini
and 1/2 red bell pepper more than fills the bill here.
Keywords: Pacific, Rice.