Cheese Pate with Walnuts and Peppers
From Penelope Casas, Paella
- 1/4 lb. cabrales or gongonzola cheese
- 1/4 lb. fresh goat cheese
- 12 walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbs. green bell pepper, finely chopped
- Young salad greens, such as mesclun or baby romaine
- 2 tbs. minced watercress leaves
- 4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced shallots (or 2 tsp. minced onion + 1/2 tsp.
- ground pepper
- In a bowl, mash together the cabrales and goat cheese.
Add walnuts and green pepper. Shape into a square, wrap in plastic,
and refrigerate several hours/overnight.
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients.
- To serve, arrange salad greens on 4 salad plates. Unwrap cheese,
slice into 4 parts. Place a slice on each plate, and spoon
vinaigrette over greens and cheese.
- To substitute for Cabrales, I've used a "creamy gorgonzola," which
works out quite well.
- Watercress is very hard to find here. I've substituted parsley.
- I use a small glass bowl as a mold, about 3-inch diameter, which
this recipe fills to about 1-inch thick. Then, I serve the greens
on a single large plate, with the molded cheese in the middle.
Keywords: Spanish, Tapas, Cheese.