Duck Paella, Sevilla Style
(Duck Paella, Sevilla Style)
From Penelope Casas, Paella
- One 4.5-5 lb. duck
- Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 lb. coarsely chopped green olives
- 3/4 c. + 2 tbs. dry white wine
- About 4.75 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. dry fino sherry
- 1/4 tsp. crumbled thread saffron
- 7 tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tbs. minced parsley
- 1 tbs. thyme leaves, or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1/2 c. finely chopped tomato
- 3 c. imported Spanish or arborio short-grain rice
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prick duck deeply all over with fork, sprinkle inside and outside
with salt, place in roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour, pour off fat, and
roast 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine in saucepan the olives and 6 tbs. white wine, and
boil 5 minutes. Drain.
- Remove duck from roasting pan. Separate legs, discard neck and
wings, split in half and remove backbone. Cut rest into 2-inch pieces.
Deglaze the roasting pan with the remaining 1/2 c. white wine. Pour
into pot, add broth, and sherry. Measure to 6 c., and stir in saffron.
Keep hot over lowest heat.
- Raise oven to 400F for gas, 450F for electric.
- Heat oil in 17-18 inch paella pan (or shallow casserole of similar
size). Sauté onion, garlic, pepper, carrot, parsley, and thyme over
medium heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add tomato and cook 2
minutes more, then stir in rice, coating well with the oil. Pour in
the hot broth and bring to a boil. Taste for salt, continue to boil,
stirring and rotating pan occasionally, until rice is no longer soupy
but sufficient liquid remains to continue cooking the rice, about 5
- Arrange duck pieces over the rice and transfer to oven. Cook,
uncovered, until rice is almost al dente, 10-12 minutes in a gas
oven, 15-20 minutes electric. Remove to a warm spot, cover with
foil, and let sit 5-10 minutes, until rice is cooked to taste.
Keywords: Spanish, Rice, Rice.