Calves' Liver in Almond Sauce
From Penelope Casas, Tapas
- 9 blanched almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- few strands saffron
- 1/2 lb. calves' liver fillets, cut in 1.5-inch pieces
- salt / pepper
- flour for dusting
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. flour
- 1/2 c. veal broth, or mixture of chicken and beef broth
- 1 tbs. minced parsley
- In a food processor or blender, grind almonds, 1 clove garlic,
and saffron. With motor running, add 1 tbsp. water, and continue
blending until as smooth as possible. [I use coffee grinder for
- Sprinkle liver with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Heat oil in
skillet. Brown the liver quickly over very high heat (the liver
should not be completely cooked). Remove to a warm casserole.
- To the oil remaining in skillet (add a little more if necessary),
add the remaining clove of garlic, then the flour. Cook for a
minute, then stir in the broth. Season with salt and pepper to
taste, and cook until darkened and smooth.
- Add food processor mixture, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Pour
this sauce over the liver, heat very briefly on top of stove,
sprinkle with parsley.
Keywords: Spanish, Tapas, Liver.