Potato Salad with Pickles and Capers
From Penelope Casas, Tapas
- 1 lb. potatoes, preferably new or red waxy
- 3/4 c. mayonnaise (see below)
- 1 tbsp. minced parsley
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped dill or cornichon pickle
- 1 tsp. small whole capers or chopped large capers
- 1/4 tsp. tarragon
- Mayonnaise (about 1.25 cups):
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 1/4 tsp. dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. olive oil (or mixture of olive and another vegetable oil)
- Make mayonnaise: put in blender or food processor bowl the whole
egg, egg yolk, mustard, salt, and lemon juice. Blend for a few
seconds. With motor running, pour in the oil very gradually and
continue beating until thickened and silky.
- Put potatoes in saucepan with salted water to cover, and boil for
10 minutes. Turn off heat and let potatoes sit in hot water, covered,
for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Drain, peel, and cut in 1/2-inch
- In bowl, combine mayonnaise, parsley, pickle, capers, and tarragon.
Gently fold in potatoes, and taste for salt. Refrigerate for several
hours, then bring to room temperature.
Keywords: Spanish, Tapas, Potato.