Dry-Fried Chinese Eggplant Nuggets
New format recipeFrom Barbara Tropp, China Moon Cookbook
- 4 tsp. ginger, minced
- 4 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. scallions, thin sliced
- 1 tsp. Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tbs. dried shrimp, soaked in hot water and drained
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2.5 tbs. hot water
- 4-5 tbs. corn or peanut oil
- 1.5 lbs. Chinese eggplant, tipped and roll-cut into nuggets about
- thin-sliced scallions, for garnish
- Combine aromatics. Combine sauce.
- Heat large heavy skillet. Add 3 tbs. oil and swirl to glaze pan.
Reduce heat to moderate. Add aromatics, stir gently 20-30 seconds
(should not brown).
- Add eggplant, toss to combine. Adjust heat so eggplant cooks
without scorching. Drizzle in more oil as needed to keep from
sticking, but beware that eggplant will absorb oil.
- Stir sauce and add to pan. Toss well to combine. Bring liquid
to simmer, cover pan, and simmer until liquid is 90% absorbed,
- Serve hot, tepid, or cold. Garnish with scallion rings.
Keywords: Chinese, Vegetables, Eggplant.