Wok-Seared Spinach Relish
From Barbara Tropp, China Moon Cookbook
- 8 c. packed spinach leaves
- 2-3 tsp. corn or peanut oil
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/16-inch moons
- 2-3 cloves garlic, sliced paper-thin
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Ma-La oil, Five-Flavor oil, or Japanese sesame oil
- Bring a generous amount of water to a rolling boil. Add spinach,
push under the water, and blanch for 5 seconds. Submerge in ice
water to chill. Drain. Squeeze to extract excess water. "Fluff
to loosen the leaves."
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat. Add 2 tsp. of corn oil, swirl
to glaze pan. Reduce heat to medium high. Add onion and toss until
slightly crisp, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and toss 30-60 seconds.
Adjust heat to maintain sizzle, drizzle more oil in to prevent
- Add bell pepper and spinach, and toss briskly to mix. Turn off
heat. Sprinkle salt and sugar, toss quickly. Drizzle in seasoned
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool.
- A 10 oz. bag of spinach measured out close enough to 8 cups.
- Fluffing cooked spinach is a difficult concept.
- I used sesame oil.
Keywords: Chinese, Vegetables, Spinach.