Smothered Corn (Maquechoux)
From Betty Fussell, I Hear America Cooking
- 8 ears fresh corn (to make 4 cups kernels)
- 4 tbs. butter
- 3/4 c. chopped onions
- 1/2 c. chopped green pepper
- 4 green onions
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut kernels straight down from the cob. With back of knife, press
the cut rows of the cob to strip them of as much corn "milk" as
- In skillet, heat butter and sauté kernels with chopped vegetables
and seasonings for 3-4 minutes. Add all but 2 tbs. cream, cover,
and simmer gently 20-30 minutes. Uncover for last 5 minutes to
let mixture thicken slightly.
- Just before serving, beat remaining cream to a froth with the
egg and add to the corn.
- I've always used frozen corn kernels for this, and never regretted
Keywords: Cajun, Vegetables, Corn.