Mulatto Ginger Cake
From Betty Fussell, I Hear America Cooking
Serves: 9x9 cake
- 1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. blackstrap molasses
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbs. powdered ginger, or 2 tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- powdered sugar
- Cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat in molasses and egg
yolks. Add sour cream and beat until light. Mix flour, baking
powder, baking soda, and seasonings. Stir gradually into
- Beat egg whites until stuff but not dry. Fold into mixture.
Fold in nuts. Pour into buttered 9x9-inch baking pan. Bake
at 350F for 25-30 minutes.
- When cake is cool, sieve a little powdered sugar over the top
Keywords: Cajun, Dessert, Cake.