Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles
From Marcella Hazan, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
- 18 choice thick spears fresh asparagus
- 1/2 lb. Italian fontina cheese, cut into thin slices
- 6 large thin slices of prosciutto
- 2 tbs. butter plus more for smearing and dotting baking dish
- Trim and boil the asparagus, cooking it more on the firm than the
soft side (about 10 minutes, depending on thickness). Drain.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Set aside 12 slices of fontina (or 12 long slivers of Parmesan),
and divide the rest into 6 more or less equal mounds.
- Spread open a slice of prosciutto and on it place 3 asparagus.
In between the spears fit the cheese from one of the 6 mounds.
Add 1 tsp. butter, then wrap the prosciutto tightly around the
asparagus spears. Proceed until you've wrapped all 6 bundles.
- Choose a baking dish that will contain all the bundles without
overlapping. Lightly smear bottom of dish with butter. Lay out
asparagus bundles. Over each place 2 criscrossed slices of
cheese. Dot each bundle with butter. Bake for about 20 minutes,
long enough for cheese to melt and form a lightly mottled crust.
Keywords: Italian, Vegetables, Asparagus.