From Bea Hull
- 1.5 c. sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2.25 c. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp. coconut flavoring
- 4/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 tsp. corn syrup
- 2 egg whites, beat until stiff
- pinch of salt
- fresh shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix flour, sugar, shortening, until crumbly. Add other
- Line two 9-inch round pans with parchment, and fill with cake
batter. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes.
- Make icing: mix sugar and water, and heat until sugar dissolves
and syrup boils. Boil, stirring continuously, until syrup starts
to thicken ("makes a string"), approx. 7 minutes. Remove from
heat. Add corn syrup and salt. Beat egg whites until stiff.
Slowly add syrup to egg whites, mixing at high speed.
- Spread icing on first cake. Place second cake on top of first,
and finish icing. Finish with fresh shredded coconut, on top
and pressed into sides.
- Mom was legendary for this cake.
Keywords: American, Dessert, Cake.