Baked Prawns with Feta
From Tess Mallos, The Complete Middle East Cookbook
- 2 lb. large shrimp, shelled
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1 c. scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 c. tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- black pepper
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- Gently fry onion in oil until transparent. Add scallions and garlic,
cook 2 min. longer. Add tomatoes, wine, most of the parsley, oregano,
and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 30 min.,
- Spoon half of the tomato sauce into 6 individual oven dishes or 1
large oven dish. Add shrimp, and spoon remaining sauce on top.
Crumble feta cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Heat oven to 500F. Cook 10-12 minutes, until shrimp are pink and
feta melted and lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining parsley,
- Recipe calls for leaving shrimp with last shell segment and tail
intact. I find this adds little if any value. But then, I also
don't believe in de-veining shrimp.
Keywords: Greek, Shrimp, Shrimp.