Autumn Kale Salad
Source: Jeffrey Yoskowitz/Liz Alpern, The Gefilte Manifesto
- 1/2 head garlic
- 6 tbs extra-virgin olive oil + 1 tsp for garlic
- 1 small delicata squash, unpeeled, seeds removed, sliced thin (or butternut squash, peeled)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch cayenne pepper (or hot paprika)
- 1 large head lacinato kale, thickest ribs removed, sliced
- 0.5 c golden raisins
- 0.5 c hazelnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
- shaved parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400F. Trim top of garlic and drizzle with olive oil.
Roast for 30-40 minutes. While roasting, coat squash with 2 tbs olive
oil, 0.5 tsp salt, and black pepper. Spread squash out on baking sheet
and roast for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, until pieces
are browned and cooked through. (Butternut squash may need longer.)
Mix the dressing: mash the roasted garlic in 4 tbs olive oil, and
add vinegar, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, honey, and cayenne/paprika,
and mix to emulsify.
In a large bowl, put the kale, and mix by hand with some of the
dressing, until well coated. Add the squash, raisins, and hazelnuts,
and toss. Top with parmesan cheese.
I used butternut squash, and a whole head of garlic. I used cashews
instead of hazelnuts or almonds.