Wine-Braised Sauerkraut and Mushrooms
Source: Jeffrey Yoskowitz/Liz Alpern, The Gefilte Manifesto
- 2 tbs unsalted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (any variety), thinly sliced
- 1 lb sauerkraut (homemade or store-bought)
- 2.5 tsp sugar (more if needed)
- 0.5 c white wine
- 0.5 c vegetable stock
Put oil or butter in the pan and heat. Add onions and cook 8 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook 10 minutes. Add sauerkraut and sugar. Turn heat
high and cook rapidly 2 minutes, Add wine and stock and simmer 10 minutes.
Taste: if too sour, add more sugar.
After throwing out my homemade sauerkraut, I used Bubbies, probably
the 25 fl oz jar, which weighed out close to 1 lb after draining. For
mushrooms, I used dried porcini, fresh shiitake, oyster, and baby
portabellas. I had some homemade lamb stock in the refrigerator, so
used that instead of the vegetable stock. Recipe calls for it to be
a little soupy, but I cooked it fairly dry.