Spinach and Yogurt Salad
From Julie Sahni, Classic Indian Cooking
- 1 c. cooked spinach
- 1.5 c. plain yogurt
- 0.5 c. sour cream
- 1 tsp. ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. ground roasted coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp. each black and red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- paprika (optional)
- Cook spinach: Wash and clean spinach. Cut away thick stems. Bring
2 quarts water with 2 tsp. kosher salt to a boil. Drop spinach into
rapidly boiling water. When water comes to boil again, reduce heat to
medium and boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Pour into colander and
refresh with cold water to stop cooking. Squeeze out as much water
as you can. Chop spinach coarsely.
- Put yogurt, sour cream, cumin, coriander, and peppers in a bowl
and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, stir salt and spinach into the seasoned
yogurt. If desired, sprinkle with additional cumin, coriander
- I always drain the yogurt before using. The better the yogurt,
the less you need to replace some with sour cream.
Keywords: Indian, Yogurt.