Lamb Braised in Aromatic Cream Sauce
From Julie Sahni, Classic Indian Cooking
- 1 c. plain yogurt
- 2 medium-sized onions, peeled and quartered
- 1.5 tbs. fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tbs. slivered blanched almonds
- 2 tbs. ground coriander
- 2.5 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbs. salt
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 lbs. boneless lamb (preferably leg), or beef round, cut into
- 3-4 medium-sized boiling potatoes (red wax), about 1 lb., peeled,
- 1/4-1/3 c. milk (if needed)
- Put yogurt, onions, ginger, and almonds into food processor, and
reduce to fine puree.
- Put pureed mixture, coriander, cardamon, black pepper, salt, heavy
cream, and meat into large, heavy-bottomed pan. Place over medium-high
heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, covered, for
1.75 hours (1 hour, 45 minutes). Add potatoes and continue simmering
until potatoes are done and meat is very tender (about 40 minutes).
Check and stir often to keep sauce from sticking and burning. Add
a little milk if sauce gets too thick.
- Degrease the dish (if necessary). Check for salt, and serve.
Keywords: Indian, Lamb.