Braised Mushrooms with Garlic
From Charmaine Solomon, Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
Serves: Part of large appetizer plate
- 1 oz. dried Chinese (black) mushrooms
- 2 tbs. peanut oil
- 1 large clove garlic, bruised
- 3 slices ginger
- 2 tbs. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- Soak mushrooms in 1.5 c. hot water for 30 minutes. Drain (reserving
the liquid), squeezing out as much water as possible. Cut off the
- Heat pan. Add peanut oil when hot, and fry garlic and ginger until
fragrant. Add mushroom caps and fry, pressing undersides against
pan until they are golden brown. Add reserved mushroom liquid,
soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Cover with lid and simmer for
30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and mushrooms take on a
- Discard garlic and ginger, and serve mushrooms hot or cold.
- This recipe appears as part of a Cold Appetizer Platter, but
stands on its own as a rich, luxurious side dish.
Keywords: Chinese, Vegetables, Mushrooms.