Fall Spice Cake
From Michael Lee West, Consuming Passions
Serves: one 9x13-inch cake
- 1.75 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1.5 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 c. pecans, chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2 tbs. evaporated milk
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x13-inch cakepan.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour, baking powder/soda, spices).
- Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla, pecans,
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Make icing: In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Cook over
low flame for three minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk.
Bring to boil. Remove from heat and cool. Add powdered sugar and
beat. If too thick, add 1 tsp. milk.
- Spread icing on cake. Sprinkle with pecans.
Keywords: American, Dessert, Cake.