Orange Yogurt Cake
(Bizcocho de Naranja)
From Penelope Casas, Delicioso
Makes: 8-9 inch cake
- 3 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2.25 tsp. baking powder
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1.5 c. sugar
- grated peel of 1/4 lemon
- grated peel of 1 orange
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 3/4 c. yogurt
- 1/4 c. blanched almonds, chopped
- Grease a deep 8- to 9-inch springform pan with butter and dust with
flour. Heat oven to 350F.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In a large bowl, beat
the egg yolks, then beat in sugar, grated lemon and orange zest,
orange juice, butter, and yogurt. Gradually stir in flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, then
gently stir into batter. Pour batter into cake pan and sprinkle
- Bake at 350F for about 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in
cake comes out clean. Cool briefly, remove sides of springform
pan, and cool completely.
- Don't have a springform pan. Don't know whether that makes a
difference or not, but my cake didn't cook in allotted time,
still wasn't cooked 5 minutes later, then I got distracted
and by the time I got back it was a little overdone and dry.
- Recipe doesn't call for icing, but I thought it could use
one, so I made the caramel icing from the
Fall Spice Cake recipe.
A little too much. Something more of a cream cheese icing
might be better, perhaps with a dab of orange flavor.
Keywords: Spanish, Dessert, Cake.