Sautéed Calf's Liver with Bacon and Radicchio
Source: Melissa Clark, New York Times
[p. D7 (October 14, 2009)]
- 2 thick slices bacon (2 oz), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small head radicchio, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp honey
- 0.5 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1.5 lbs calf's liver, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- chopped parsley, for garnish
In large skillet, sauté bacon and onion until both are well browned and onions are tender, about 10 minutes. If pan starts to dry out, add a tbs olive oil.
Add radicchio, pinch of salt and pepper, and sauté until very tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in honey and vinegar, then transfer to a warm serving platter.
Wipe out skillet. Add 1 tbs olive oil. Add liver, in batches if necessary. Sauté for about 2 minutes each side over high heat. Liver is done when it is golden on surface but still pink inside. Transfer cooked pieces to platter on top of radicchio mixture. Garnish with parsley.