Dry-Fried Chinese Eggplant Nuggets
Source: Barbara Tropp, China Moon Cookbook
- 4 tsp ginger, minced
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 c scallions, thin sliced
- 1 tsp Chinese chili sauce
- 1 tbs dried shrimp, soaked in hot water and drained
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2.5 tbs hot water
- 4-5 tbs corn or peanut oil
- 1.5 lbs Chinese eggplant, tipped and roll-cut into 1-inch nuggets
- thin-sliced scallions, for garnish
Combine aromatics. Combine sauce.
Heat large heavy skillet. Add 3 tbs oil and swirl to glaze pan. Reduce heat to moderate. Add aromatics, stir gently 20-30 seconds (should not brown).
Add eggplant, toss to combine. Adjust heat so eggplant cooks without scorching. Drizzle in more oil as needed to keep from sticking, but beware that eggplant will absorb oil.
Stir sauce and add to pan. Toss well to combine. Bring liquid to simmer, cover pan, and simmer until liquid is 90% absorbed, 2-3 minutes.
Serve hot, tepid, or cold. Garnish with scallion rings.