Source: Marcella Hazan, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Serves: 8 or more
- 1.5 c orange juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tbs lemon juice (only 1 tbs if using optional liqueur
- 2 apples
- 2 pears
- 2 bananas
- 1.5 lbs other fruit, such as cherries, grapes, apricots, plums, peaches, berries, mango, melon, and tangerine sections, in as varied an assortment as possible
- 1/3 to 1/2 c sugar (to taste)
- 0.5 c maraschino liqueur (optional)
- 3 tbs walnuts or peeled almonds, toasted and chopped course (optional)
In a large tureen or punch bowl, put the orange juice, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
Wash, peel, and core (when applicable) all fruit except for tangerine sections, grapes, and berries). Cut into 1/2-inch chunks and add to bowl so that citrus juices will keep from discoloring.
Wash cherries, grapes, and berries. Divide cherries and grapes in half, removing seeds. Leave blueberries, raspberries, or currants whole. Add to bowl, except for raspberries or strawberries, which become mushy in marinade -- wait until 30 minutes before serving to add them.
Add sugar to bowl, and liqueur and/or nuts if using. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but not overnight. Serve chilled, after tossing gently.